Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Taylor Swift Shows Cancelled in Vienna Due to Foiled Attack Plot

0 253

Austrian authorities have foiled a planned attack on Taylor Swift’s concerts in Vienna, leading to the cancellation of three scheduled performances.

The suspect, a 19-year-old Austrian, was apprehended on Wednesday 7th August,2024 in Lower Austria, where authorities discovered chemical substances at his residence. Another individual suspected of involvement was also detained in Vienna.

Franz Ruf, Austria’s top security chief, confirmed that the plot targeted Swift’s concerts at the Ernst Happel Stadium. Concert organizers, Barracuda Music, cited safety concerns for the cancellations.

Swift, scheduled to perform on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, was expected to draw crowds of around 65,000 spectators per show. This comes amid heightened security measures in Vienna after previous terrorist attacks, including a deadly shooting in November 2020.

Investigation and Outcome

One of the arrested men, a 19-year-old, allegedly pledged allegiance to ISIS. The suspects had specific plans for the attack, according to U.S. officials.

The suspects were well known to the Austrians and had been under surveillance. When the 19-year-old was taken into custody, a bomb squad found chemical substances, which investigators are examining for potential bomb use.

Officials said the 19-year-old had not purchased all the components needed to assemble a bomb and likely would not have been able to do so before the weekend’s events. Austrian law enforcement took them into custody to prevent any attack attempts using other means.

The two were taken into custody, and a robust security plan was put in place for the Swift concerts and Vienna at large. Austria’s Cobra unit, similar to the FBI’s Hostage Rescue Team, assisted with the arrests.

The investigation is ongoing. Officials in Europe and the U.S. said there was no specific plot to injure Swift directly, but the attack was focused on the event. Earlier, a police official said there were no plans to cancel the concerts, but it’s unclear why those plans changed.

“According to the investigation, the suspects became radicalized via the internet,” Ruf stated. The 19-year-old had pledged allegiance to the Islamic State in July.

Heightened security protocols now cover all events in Vienna, particularly Swift’s concerts. “Special attention will be given to entrance checks,” Ruf emphasized.

Vienna’s Police Chief, Gerhard Pürstl, assured that while the immediate threat was mitigated, a general threat persisted. He anticipated daily attendance of 65,000 concert-goers, with 22,000 more outside the venue.

“To ensure safety, we are deploying special forces, police dog teams, and anti-terror units,” Pürstl said. He advised concert attendees to expect delays and urged early arrival.

Mobile and stationary video surveillance, aerial monitoring, and extensive search measures, including personal searches, will be implemented, according to police statements. Investigations continue.

Taylor Swift performing in stadium to thousands of fans

Taylor Swift’s Vienna Shows Cancelled

Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour shows in Vienna have been canceled due to the planned attack, this came hours after initial plans for the show to still go on. “With confirmation from officials of a planned terrorist attack at Ernst Happel Stadium, we have no choice but to cancel the shows for everyone’s safety,” Barracuda Music posted on Instagram.

Taylor Nation, an Instagram account affiliated with Swift’s team, reposted the message. All tickets will be refunded, and ticket holders can request refunds through a website. Swift’s website also reflects the cancellations, noting automatic refunds within the next 10 business days. 

Taylor Swift has not commented on social media, however, she has previously expressed concerns about terror attacks at her stadium shows. In 2019, she told Elle Magazine it was her biggest fear after the Manchester Arena bombing and the Vegas concert shooting.

Investigations continue, and fans are urged to stay updated through official channels. Safety remains a top priority, and authorities are working diligently to ensure all necessary precautions are in place.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.